This Page

has been moved to new address

Princess Ballerina Cookies - Making a cookie template

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Sweets by Suz: Princess Ballerina Cookies - Making a cookie template

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Princess Ballerina Cookies - Making a cookie template

Princess Ballerina Cookie

My sister Cathy asked me to make some custom cookies for her daughter Lily's fourth birthday party. Lily told her Mom she wanted a pink ballerina party. I originally planned doing a design using the kopykake but it hasn't arrived yet :/ so I decide to do a shaped ballerina cookie. I didn't have time to ship a cookie cutter and could not run to the store so I found a shape online and used that for the cookie.

jpeg image used for template

I put the template into word and made it three different sizes, just in case I wanted to make a mini cookie.

jpeg --> heavy paper + wax paper

I cut out the jpeg image, then transferred it onto heavy paper. I also traced it onto wax paper. Some people do this on plastic folder paper, or even a paper file folder. I like to keep everything food safe so that's why I used some wax paper. I then taped the wax paper on to the cardstock. The wax paper prevents bits of paper from getting on the dough, or fat from the dough from getting on the paper. A plastic folder, or a cut up food container would make this easier, but I didn't have an xacto knife or an extra folder. This step felt like sewing, and I really don't like to sew.


Cutting out the the cookie

Make sure the dough is chilled and carefully cut around the template. (i couldn't get a picture of this... do most bloggers hire a professional photographer??) I used a sharp paring knife. You could also use an xacto knife or sharp blade. Place cookies on a baking sheet and chill at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator or for 5-10 minutes in the freezer. Again, the dough has to be cold so the shape is maintained. This takes a lot of time, but I was only doing six of this shape.

Cookies just out of the oven - she gained a bit of weight in the cooking process


Decorating the cookies

Use royal icing to flood and fill the cookies. I first outlined and filled the top of the cookie in light pink. I use this recipe for the royal icing. I keep the piping icing relatively thick and the filling icing very thin so there is just the right amount of icing. This is a lot more work but I don't want to overdo it on the sugar. When these were wet I added disco dust, or the edible glitter. The next day I added more details to give the cookies more dimension.


Cookies wrapped and ready to go.

Inspiration for this project came from cakejournal.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At February 15, 2012 at 1:25 PM , Blogger Cathy said...

They turned out so cute! Great tutorial! I sent you a picture of them arriving. Packed with care!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home